Home General Late field goal lifts Refugio past Crawford for 2A Division I crown

Late field goal lifts Refugio past Crawford for 2A Division I crown


High school football championships are all about pitting the best against the best. Although, you’ll see some dominating wins from time to time, these teams are usually battle-tested.

As if Refugio and Crawford had not gone to battle enough in the playoffs on their way to the state championship game, they were ready to suit up one last time and neither team disappointed.

Bobcats kicker had a chance to make a game-changing impact with his foot twice. He missed the PAT after Refugio’s first touchdown, which would have given them a one-point lead at the end of the game.

However, Gonzales came through when it mattered most, as he kicked through an 18-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining for the Bobcats to take the final lead and the 2A Division I title.

“I really wanted these seniors to get this title. They are the winningest class in Refugio history and we came so close so many times. It’s good to finally get it,” Refugio coach Jason Herring said.

The game was a true battle, as Refugio striked first late in the first quarter as Jacobe Avery connected with Robert Ortiz on a 43-yard touchdown pass.

Crawford then took their turn on a seven-play drive late in the first half. Garrett Dutschmann broke loose for a 32-yard run on 3rd and 8, and two plays later Cade Johnston caught a 21-yard touchdown pass from Gage Pearson to tie the game. The ensuing two-point conversion failed, keeping it knotted up at six.

It seemed like both teams would head to the locker rooms with a tie, but with 55 seconds left on the clock, Ortiz returned Crawford’s kick 77 yards to the Crawford 14. After a pair of Jaylon Mascorro runs for a first and goal, Avery picked up the touchdown on a keeper to take the lead.

Crawford had an answer in the third quarter though, as they kept Refugio scoreless, but scored a touchdown of their own on a drive ended by a short scamper into the end zone by Dutschmann.

Avery, who was suffering with stomach flu, may have been struggling on the sidelines, but once he hit the turf, he seemed to put that sickness in the back of his mind.

He scored his second rushing touchdown of the game midway through the fourth, but two minutes later, it was Dutschmann again, but this time catching a 44-yard touchdown pass.

After Gonzales made the field goal, Crawford, who had found an answer all game, needed a bit of a miracle to try to score in just one second, but the clock ran out on their championship hopes.

“They were a very big physical team.It took a toll on us, Crawford coach Delbert Kelm said. “Love my guy’s effort, that fought to tooth and nail. We may not be the biggest team out there, but you can’t measure our heart.”

“It’s not about the size of the dog in the fight, it’s about the size of the fight in the dog, and Crawford football has that fight,” Kelm said.

Avery, who finished the game with 116 rushing yards, 80 passing yards and three touchdowns, took home Offensive MVP honors.  Kobie Herring won Defensive MVP.

Previous articleUndefeated Gunter will look to capture first state championship against fiery Boling
Next articleMineola looks for elusive state title against Yoakum
Michael is the founder and editor of ProjectSpurs.com. He has a long history in journalism, sports and online media. Michael has been interviewed by the BBC, SportTalk, the Sports Reporters Radio Show, MemphisSportLive, OKC Sports Wrap and ESPN radio among others.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

17 + eighteen =