I said I was keeping on eye on these games this week, so let’s take a look at how they turned out.
1) Euless Trinity (5-0, 2-0) vs Haltom (5-0, 1-0) – The winner of this battle of undefeated teams should compete with Abilene for the district title.
Haltom 48, Trinity 34
Looks like the Buffloes are for real! Haltom now hosts Abilene on Friday night for what should be the district title game.
2) Cedar Hill (5-0, 2-0) vs Mansfield Summit (3-1, 2-0) – Two of the teams that remain undefeated in district play meet this Friday. The winner stays in contention for the district crown.
Mansfield Summit 7, Cedar Hill 3
The Jaguars stifle the Longhorns. This should set up an all-Mansfield match up against Lake Ridge in Week 11 for the district title, though Cedar Hill may still have a say in the matter when they play Lake Ridge next week.
3) Allen (5-0, 2-0) vs Plano East (5-0, 2-0) – The last two teams undefeated in district play meet this Friday. With Allen the clear favorite, a win would all but clinch the district title for Allen.
A-UP! The Eagles are now the only unbeaten team in 9-6A though they still have to teams with one district loss (Prosper and McKinney Boyd), they looked to be unbeaten when the playoffs being.
4) Jersey Village (5-1, 4-0) vs Cy Fair (4-1, 2-1) – Cy Fair looks to rebound from their first loss of the season last week to Cy Falls. Jersey Village is well positioned for a playoff spot.
Jersey Village 24, Cy Fair 23
Cy Fair goes from undefeated and having surrender only 7 total points after Week 5, to having two losses and giving up 38 points in two week. It now looks like the Week 8 Friday game between Jersey Village and Cy Falls will decide the 17-6A title.
5) Houston Chavez (4-2, 2-0) vs Houston Bellaire (3-3, 2-0) – With wins over Westside and Heights, Chavez has emerged as a legitimate district title contender. This will be Bellaire’s first game against an 18-6A playoff contender after wins over Westbury and Sam Houston.
Bellaire 21, Chavez 14
The Cardinals take care of business against Chavez. They now set up to play Lamar in Week 8 and the other playoff contenders (Westside and Heights) in Weeks 9 and 10. With Lamar and Bellaire the only undefeated teams in district play, the Saturday game could decide the 18-6A title.
6) Fort Bend Bush (5-0, 2-0) vs Fort Bend Ridge Point (4-1, 2-0) – Two of the last three teams undefeated in district play face off this week with the winner taking a huge step toward competing for the district title.
Ridge Point 26, Bush 23
The Panthers hand the Broncos their first loss of the year. Ridge Point must now face 5-1 Travis, and 5-1 Elkins in consecutive weeks. The Panthers are the favorite to win 20-6A but they title may not be decided until late in the year.
7) Strake Jesuit (5-0, 2-0) vs Alief Hastings (4-1, 2-0) – The winner of this matchup should compete with Pearland for the district title. Jesuit plays Pearland next week, while Hastings plays the Oilers the week after
Strake 29, Hastings 17
The Crusaders set up a showdown with Pearland this Friday night that should decide the 23-6A crown.
8) Lake Travis (5-0, 4-0) vs Westlake (4-1, 3-0) – This game is traditionally viewed as the district title game in this district and this year should be no different.
Westlake 44, Lake Travis 14
The Chaps bets the Cavaliers and are now the clear favorite in 25-6A.
9) San Antonio O’Connor (5-0, 4-0) vs San Antonio Brandeis (4-1, 3-1) – It should be a crazy atmosphere as these Northside ISD rivals square off in a game with big implications at the top of 28-6A.
O’Connor 30, Brandies 28
This rivalry game didn’t disappoint. O’Connor has now already beaten Warren and Brandeis. The Week 10 match up with Brennan should decide the 28-6A title.
10) Edinburg Vela (6-0, 2-0) vs Weslaco (5-0, 1-0) – Two of the last three teams undefeated in district play square off this week with the winner likely to play Weslaco East for the district title.
Vela 17, Weslaco 7
The Sabercats prevailed and should be the favorites in 31-6A. They should be big favorites in their remaining games.
1) Azle (5-1, 4-0) vs Saginaw Boswell (3-2, 3-0) – The winner of this game will be the clear favorite to win the 3-5AD1 district title.
Azle 41, Boswell 27
Buy you Hornets playoff t-shirts now! The Hornets have now beaten the two teams with one district loss in essence giving them a 2 game lead in the district standings. They would have to lose two of their remaining three games to not win the 3-5AD1 crown.
2) Frisco Lone Star (4-1, 2-0) vs Frisco Independence (4-1, 2-0) – The winner of this game should compete with The Colony for the district title.
Lone Star 27, Independence 6
The Rangers set up a Friday showdown with The Colony that should determine the 5-5AD1 title.
3) College Station (5-0, 2-0) vs Lufkin (4-1, 2-0) – This game should be for the 8-5AD1 crown, though the winner still must face Magnolia West (also undefeated in district). Both teams are highly regarding in terms of competing for the state title, not just the district title.
Lufkin 35, College Station 3
Talk about a statement game! The Panthers go on the road and not just beat but shut down and dominate the Cougars. The Panthers should be significant favorites in their four remaining games.
4) Port Arthur Memorial (5-0, 2-0) vs New Caney (4-1, 2-0) – The two front runners for the 9-5AD1 title meet this week.
New Caney 38, Memorial 21
The Eagles make a statement of their own. They are the clear favorites to win 9-5AD1. This week they play the only other team unbeaten in district play, Kingwood Park.
5) Richmond Foster (3-2, 2-0) vs Friendswood (5-0, 2-0) – The winner of this game should face newcomer Alvin Shadow Creek for the district title.
Foster 28, Friendswood 20
The Falcons remain unbeaten in district play. But it doesn’t get any easier as they will play Angleton and Shadow Creek the next two weeks.
6) Austin LBJ (4-1, 2-0) vs Dripping Springs (4-1, 2-0) – The winner of this game should face Seguin for the district title.
Dripping Springs 52, LBJ 35
The Tigers take care of the Jaguars and will face Lanier next week before a Week 9 showdown with Seguin to likely decide the district title.
7) Flour Bluff (4-1, 2-1) vs Victoria East (4-2, 4-0) – A loss in this game could put Flour Buff battling to make the playoffs in the final weeks of the season while a Victoria East victory sets up a showdown next week with Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial for the district title.
Flour Bluff 37, Victoria East 21
Flour Bluff has already lost to CC Veterans Memorial so they’ll have a tough time competing for the district title but they did keep their playoff hopes alive. Win over Miller this week would place the Hornets is solid contention for second place.
8) Northwest (4-2, 2-0) vs Fort Worth Wyatt (2-2, 1-0) – It may be early, but this game most likely determines the 5-5AD2 district champ.
Northwest 73, Waytt 33
And the 4-5AD2 Champion is… The Northwest Texans! Well, they do still have to play the games, but with wins over Southwest, Eastern Hills, and now Wyatt in the bank, they’d pretty much have to lose two of their last three games and they should be 35+ points in all of those games.
9) Frisco Reedy (6-0, 4-0) vs Lucas Lovejoy (4-0, 3-0) – These undefeated teams meet in what is likely the district championship game.
Reedy 51, Lovejoy 0
Another one bites the dust. The Lions knock the Leopards from the ranks of the unbeaten and in doing so they have all but clinched the 7-5AD2 crown. With wins over the two one loss teams (Frisco and Lovejoy) already in the bank, they’d have to lose two of their three remaining games to not win the district title and they should be 30+ point favorites in those 3 games.
10) Crosby (5-0, 2-0) vs Port Neches-Groves (3-2, 2-0) – Port Neches-Groves has Roschon Johnson back. The winner of this game should face Nederland for the district title.
Port Neches-Groves 48, Crosby 45
Another statement game and the statement by PNG was “not so fast.” With Roschon Johnson back on the field, the Indians look to compete for the 12-5AD2 title and make another playoff run. This win likely adds even more drama to their Week 11 showdown with Nederland. Always a crazy rivalry game kicknamed both “Mid-County Madness” and “The Bum Phillips Bowl”, I can only imagine the hype of this game if it is indeed for the district title.
1) Mineral Wells (5-0, 0-0) vs Springtown (4-1, 0-0) – Two of the contenders for the 4-4AD1 title square off in the first week of district play.
Springtown 42, Mineral Wells 21
Fear the quill! The Porcupines win their district opener (and likely title game). They will likely be large favorites in their remaining games, though Wichita Falls Hirschi may challenge.
2) Andrews (5-1) vs Canyon (6-0) – These two teams play in 4-team districts so they are still in non-district play this week. Key matchup between two teams that look to compete deep into the 4AD1 Region 1 playoffs.
Canyon 38, Andrews 20
The Eagles win their last non-district game. They are on a bye week in Week 8 for opening district play against Dumas in Week 9.
3) China Spring (4-2, 0-0) vs Stephenville (3-2, 0-0) – District play in 5-4AD1 starts off with this key game.
Stephenville 21, China Spring 14
The Yellow Jackets open district play with a huge win over China Spring. This week the Yellow Jackets travel to Waco to take on the La Vega Pirates in another key game.
4) Celina (4-1, 2-0) vs Paris (4-1, 2-0) – The winner of this game will most likely face Argyle for the district 7-4AD1 title.
Paris 54, Celina 14
WOAH! When you beat Celina by 40, everyone had better take notice. The Wildcats are for real. They travel to Argyle this week in a game that should decide the 7-4AD1 title.
5) Carthage (5-0), 0-0) vs Van (4-1, 0-0) – Can anyone challenge Carthage for the 9-4AD1 title? Probably not. But Carthage faces a Van team that should finish 2nd or 3rd in the district.
Carthage 35, Van 7
The Bulldogs down the Vandals easily. Now the only team left that may challenge is Henderson in Week 10.
6) Houston Wheatley (4-1, 2-0) vs Stafford (2-3, 1-0) – It was a slow start for Stafford but they may have righted the ship. The winner of this game should face Navasota for the 12-4AD1 crown.
Wheatley 34, Stafford 27
I got some funny looks when I picked Wheatley to win this district over Stafford, Navasota, and North Forest. It still may not happen, but the Wildcats have managed to win the close games in district and now are pointing to a Week 10 game against Navasota that will likely decide the district 12-4AD1 title.
7) Monahans (4-2, 2-0) vs Snyder (4-1, 1-0) – The winner of this game should face Midland Greenwood for the 1-4AD2 title.
Snyder 29, Monahans 27 (3OT)
Woah Nelly! And Snyder’s reward for knocking off Monahans in triple over time? They host Greenwood in a game likely to decide the 1-4AD2 title.
8) Graham (2-3, 0-0) vs Iowa Park (1-4, 0-0) – Despite their non-district records, the winner of this game will most likely win 3-4AD2 possibly with competition from Vernon.
Graham 42, Iowa Park 14
The Steers easily win the district opener. Now can anyone challenge them for the district title? The Steers travel to Bridgeport next Friday.
9) Pleasant Grove (4-2, 0-0) vs Pittsburg (4-2, 0-0) – 6-4AD2 play starts with two of the three teams (the third is Gilmer) that should compete for the district crown.
Pleasant Grove 45, Pittsburg 20
The Hawks take care of business against the Pirates and now travel to Gilmer of Friday night in the game that will likely decide the 6-4AD2 district crown.
10) Brownsboro (1-5, 0-0) vs Canton (2-3, 0-0) – District 7-4AD2 looks to be wide open. The winner of this game takes a step toward the district crown.
Brownsboro 62, Canton 41
The Bears take step one to the district title. Next week they travel to Wills Point before wrapping up play with two games I currently have rated as “pick ‘em” games, Rusk and Bullard.
1) Slaton (4-1, 0-0) vs Bushland (3-2, 0-0) – The winner of this game should face Shallowater for the 2-3AD1 crown.
Bushland 42, Slaton 13
2) Jefferson (6-0, 2-0) vs Mount Vernon (3-1, 0-0) – Two of the remaining unbeaten teams in 7-3AD2 play face off this week.
Jefferson 20, Mount Vernon 14
3) Woodville (5-0, 2-0) vs Buna (5-0, 2-0) – There are only three undefeated teams in 3AD1 Region 3 (the other is 5-0 Diboll) and two of them face off this week.
Woodville 26, Buna 0
4) Marion (5-1, 2-0) vs Jourdnaton (4-1, 1-0) – The 15-3AD1 title should come down to the winner of this game or Lytle.
Marion 44, Jourdanton 34
5) San Diego (5-0, 2-0) vs George West (4-1, 2-0) – Two of three teams that remain unbeaten in 16-3AD1 (the other is Mathis) face off this week.
George West 28, San Diego 23
6) Gunter (6-0, 2-0) vs Holliday (5-0, 1-0) – The winner of this game is the clear favorite to win 5-3AD2.
Gunter 30, Holliday 13
7) Cooper (4-1, 2-0) vs Blue Ridge (3-2, 1-0) – The winner of this game should compete with Bells for the 9-3AD1 crown.
Cooper 49, Blue Ridge 3
8) Harmony (4-1, 2-0) vs Winona (4-1, 2-0) – Two of three teams that remain unbeaten in 10-3AD2 (the other is Arp) face off this week.
Harmony 50, Winona 0
9) Blanco (3-2, 0-0) vs Sonora (2-3, 0-0) – The two favorites for the 13-3AD2 crown face off in the first week of district play.
Blanco 27, Sonora 21
10) East Bernard (5-1, 2-0) vs Schulenburg (6-0, 2-0) – The 14-3AD2 title should come down to the winner of this game versus Van Vleck.
East Bernard 42, Schulenberg 7
1) Floydada (5-0, 0-0) vs Sundown (4-1, 0-0) – Key game in 1-2AD1 to open district play.
Sundown 48, Floydada 0
2) Hawley (5-1, 0-0) vs Winters (5-1, 0-0) – Key game as district 2-2AD1 play begins. The winner should compete with Stamford for the district title.
Hawley 44, Winters 14
3) Honey Grove (4-2, 0-0) vs Wolfe City (5-1, 0-0) – Wolfe City should compete for the district title and Honey Grove should compete for a playoff spot in 6-2AD1.
Wolfe City 43, Honey Grove 6
4) Bosqueville (3-3, 2-0) vs Riesel (4-1, 1-0) – Winner of this game should win 8-2AD1.
Bosqueville 24, Riesel 12
5) Carlisle (5-0, 0-0) vs Cushing (4-0, 0-0) – There are three undefeated teams in 2AD1 Region 3 and two of them play each other this week. The third (Union Grove) is also in 11-3AD1.
Carlisle 69, Cushing 8
6) Shiner (5-1, 0-0) vs Yorktown (5-1, 0-0) – Shiner should be the prohibitive favorite to win 15-2AD1. Can Yorktown challenge?
Shiner 42, Yorktown 8
7) Clarendon (5-0, 0-0) vs Stratford (2-4, 0-0) – Don’t let Stratford’s overall record fool you. They should compete for the 3-3AD2 title.
Stratford 42, Clarendon 14
8) Menard (3-2, 0-0) vs Miles (3-2, 0-0) – There isn’t a clear favorite to win 8-3AD2 but both of these teams are in the conversation.
Miles 26, Miles 15
9) Burton (3-2, 0-0) vs Flatonia (3-2, 0-0) – Burton has struggled some in non-district play and as not as big a prohibitive favorite of win district as in past years, but is Flatonia the team that can challenge?
Burton 48, Flatonia 8
10) Falls City (5-0, 0-0) vs La Pryor (4-1, 0-0) – Falls City should be the favorite to win 15-2AD2. Can La Pryor throw a wrench into the plans?
Falls City 59, La Pryor 2
1) White Deer (6-0) vs Union Hill (5-1)
Union Hill 52, White Deer 45
2) Ira (5-0) vs Rotan (4-1)
Ira 46, Rotan 0
3) Saint Jo (5-0) vs Savoy (3-1)
Savoy 50, Saint Jo 45
4) Coolidge (5-0) vs Cedar Park Summit Christian (6-0)
5) Milford (4-1) vs Calvert (4-1)
Milford 54, Calvert 28
6) May (4-2) vs Strawn (4-2)
Strawn 53, May 6
7) Jonesboro (4-2) vs Iredell (5-0)
Iredell 52, Jonesboro 20
8) Nueces Canyon (4-1) vs Spring Branch Living Rock (4-1)
Nueces Canyon 50, Living Rock 0
9) Groom (4-1) vs Miami (3-1)
Groom 58, Miami 12
10) Sanderson (4-0) vs Grandfalls-Royalty (4-2)
Grandfalls-Royalty 42, Sanderson 24
1) Plano Prestonwood (6-0) vs Plano John Paul II (4-1)
Prestonwood 78, John Paul II 7
2) Cedar Hill Trinity (5-0) vs Bishop Gorman (4-1)
Trinity 52, Gorman 6
3) Dallas Christian (5-0) vs Brook Hill (4-1)
Dallas Christian 21, Brook Hill 7
4) Houston Second Baptist (4-1) vs Victoria St. Joseph (4-1)
Second Baptist 40, St. Joseph 9
5) Houston St. Pius X (5-1) vs Central Catholic (3-3)
Central Catholic 51, St. Pius X 36
6) Grapevine Faith (5-0) vs Frisco Legacy Christian (3-2)
Grapevine Faith 56, Legacy Christian 0
7) San Antonio Holy Cross (3-3) vs Corpus Christi John Paul II (3-3)
Holy Cross 56, John Paul II 46
8) Flower Mound Coram Deo (5-0) vs Lubbock Christian (3-2)
Coram Deo 35, Lubbock Christian 34 (2 OT)
9) Arlington Grace Prep (3-2) vs Arlington Pantego Christian (3-2)
Grace Prep 14, Pantego 7
10) DasCHE (5-1) vs Dallas First Baptist (3-2)
First Baptist 18, DasCHE 0
1) Coolidge (5-0) vs Cedar Park Summit Christian (6-0)
2) Nueces Canyon (4-1) vs Spring Branch Living Rock (4-1)
Nueces Canyon 50, Living Rock 0
3) Lucas Christian (3-2) vs Dallas Lutheran (3-1)
Dallas Lutheran 52, Lucas Christian 0
4) Houston Emery-Weiner (5-0) vs Giddings State School (3-1)
Giddings State School 59, Emery-Weiner 49
5) Lubbock All-Saints (4-2) vs Longview Christian Heritage (4-2)
Longview Christian 66, All Saints 19
6) New Braunfels Christian (5-1) vs Kerrville Our Lady of the Hills (4-1)
New Braunfels Christian 67, Kerrville OLH 22
7) Bryan All Academy (4-2) vs Bryan St. Joseph (4-2)
Allen Academy 72, St. Joseph 37
8) Wichita Falls Christian (5-1) vs Lubbock Kingdom Prep (3-2)
WF Christian 61, Lubbock Kingdom Prep 60
9) Longview Trinity (6-0) vs Weatherford Christian (5-0)
Weatherford Christian 54, Longview Trinity 26
10) Azle Christian (5-1) vs Westlake Academy (4-1)
Azle Christian 44, Westlake Academy 37