Seven elementary school pupils in Amherst, Virginia, were ill after eating fentanyl-laced gummy bears from a sandwich bag.
Gummy Bears Contaminated with Fentanyl
Five students were hospitalized but recovered. The event led to the arrest of Clifford Dugan, Jr. and Nicole Sanders. Emergency services were called when a fourth-grader at Central Elementary School exchanged gummy bears. The sheriff believes the poisoning was accidental.
The Amherst County Sheriff’s Office found fentanyl in the sandwich bag but not the candies. Sanders and Dugan are accused of promoting juvenile delinquency.
Sanders also faces a controlled substance allegation, while Dugan is charged with felonious gun possession. Dugan has no bond.
Virginia School Officials Address Fentanyl Contamination Concerns After Students Fall Ill
At a news conference, Amherst School Superintendent William Wells said officials suspect the contamination occurred at home or on the way to school. The exposed kids had nausea, vomiting, headaches, and muscle spasms. All the youngsters have recovered, and the investigation seeks to find others who saw the bag at school.
The school is clean and hazmat-free. Fentanyl is a community issue, and schools cannot suspend their way out of it, Wells said. A Bronx daycare baby died from fentanyl exposure in a recent case. Authorities arrested many people after discovering a childcare drug conspiracy.