UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje is STACKED and it is finally here. This Saturday, May 7, 2022, at the Footprint Center in Phoenix, Arizona, two championship bouts will headline the night of combat. Of course, the main event, Charles “Do Bronx” Oliveira vs Justin “The Highlight” Gaethje for the lightweight title is the primary draw, and rightfully so.
Oliveira (32-8-0, 1 NC) has seemingly fought the entire division already, but to this point has had yet to face Gaethje (24-3-0). Now, the two will clash for the first time in a second title defense match for Oliveira. If you can’t watch the fight in person, check out our preview of the fight below, as well as how to watch UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje
How to watch UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje
- When: Saturday, May 7, 2022
- Early Prelims Start Time: 5:30 p.m. EST / 2:30 p.m. PST
- Prelims Start Time: 8 p.m. EST/ 5 p.m. PST
- Main Card Start Time: 10 p.m. EST / 7 p.m. PST
- Location: Footprint Center – Phoenix, Arizona
- TV Channel: ESPN+ PPV
- Live Stream anywhere: Fitepass
As attractive as the main event is by itself, the entire main card could nearly headline a typical UFC Vegas Fight Night. The co-main event, however, could carry its own pay-per-view, featuring Rose “Thug” Namajunas defending her women’s strawweight title from the No.2 challenger Carla “Cookie Monster” Esparza. Namajunas (12-4-0) defeated the top-ranked contender, Zhang Weili, twice last year, first claiming Weili’s title, and then defeating her again in the rematch.
Top men’s lightweight contenders Michael Chandler and Tony Ferguson are also on the main card, as is Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, along with a number of top-15 talents on the preliminary slate. In short, the evening is set to deliver – big time.
**Update: On Friday, May 6th, Charles Oliveira failed to make weight, per the UFC, and will be unable to defend his title. The fight will go on, but only Gaethje can emerge a champion.
UFC 274: Oliveira vs Gaethje Main Event Preview
It took Oliveira 10 years to land a title fight in the UFC, and since claiming the championship belt from Chandler at UFC 262, he’s been in no hurry to give it up. Still, he’s taking on a real challenge this Saturday against a hard hitter like Gaethje. “The Highlight” his seven career fights since joining the UFC in 2017. At one point he had knocked out three consecutive opponents in the first round.
Despite his short time in the UFC, Gaethje has been in The Octagon against Dustin Poirier, Chandler, Cerrone, Ferguson, and UFC Class of 2022 Hall of Fame inductee Khabib Nurmagomedov. In those contests, Gaethje is a respectable 3-2, losing only to Nurmagomedov and Poirier, the former of which who handed Gaethje his first loss by submission in the UFC.
A submission specialist himself, Oliveira knows what he needs to do to defend his title and extend his winning streak to 11 consecutive fights. Of his 32 career victories, “Do Bronx” has recorded a remarkable 20 wins by submission. He has also displayed the ability to finish with his power, notching another 10 victories by TKO. With both Oliveira and Gaethje being two vastly different fighters, the one who dictates the fight will be the winner. That is reflected by the close odds that give Oliveira a slight edge (-180) over his Gaethje (+155). Fans in attendance and watching around the world could just be in for the rise of a new champion on Saturday night.
UFC 274 Fight Card & Odds
- (C) Charles Oliveira (-180) vs #1 Justin Gaethje (+155) – Lightweight Title Bout
- (C) Rose Namajunas (-210) vs #2 Carla Esparza (+175) – Women’s Strawweight Title Bout
- #5 Michael Chandler (-365) vs #7 Tony Ferguson (+280) – Lightweight
- Mauricio Rua (+195) vs Ovince Saint Preux (-240) – Light Heavyweight
- Donald Cerrone (-190) vs Joe Lauzon (+160) – Lightweight
- Andre Fialho (-410) vs Cameron VanCamp (+310) – Welterweight
- Randy Brown (-105) vs Khaos Williams (-115) – Welterweight
- #11 Macy Chiasson (+190) vs #15 Norma Dumont (-235) – Women’s Featherweight
- #6 Brandon Royval (-240) vs #9 Matt Schnell (+195) – Flyweight
- Blagoy Ivanov (-150) vs Marcos Rogerio de Lima (+130) – Heavyweight
- Francisco Trinaldo (-115) vs Danny Roberts (-105) – Welterweight
Early Preliminary Card
- Tracy Cortez (-145) vs Melissa Gatto (+125) – Women’s Flyweight
- Kleidison Rodrigues (-350) vs CJ Vergara (+270) – Flyweight
- Ariane Carnelossi (+155) vs Loopy Godinez (-180) – Women’s Strawweight
- Journey Newson (+125) vs Fernie Garcia (-145) – Bantamweight