On October 2, the trial for a man accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students will not proceed as planned.
During his appearance in Latah County Court on Wednesday afternoon, Bryan Kohberger renounced his right to a speedy trial, according to CBS affiliate KBOI-TV. In a statement on his behalf, his attorney, Anne Taylor, indicated that she might not be prepared for the trial by October.
Accused Of Murdering
In connection with the murders of Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin in a home close to the university campus in Moscow, Idaho, in November, Bryan Kohberger is accused with four counts of murder.
At the time, Kohberger was a graduate student at Washington State University in nearby Pullman, Washington, majoring in criminology. On his behalf, a not guilty plea was made earlier this year.
Bill Thompson, the prosecutor for Latah County, has declared his intent to pursue the death penalty. Taylor announced on Wednesday that her team would submit a request to overturn the death penalty and another motion to forbid cameras from being used in the courtroom.
District Judge John C. Judge of Latah County questioned Kohberger on Wednesday about his comfort level with giving up his right to a prompt trial. Kohberger said, “Absolutely.”
Unless the defendant waives that privilege, a trial must occur six months after an arraignment in Idaho. After being indicted by a grand jury on May 22, Kohberger was arraigned. After Kohberger’s next hearing, which is planned on September 1, a new trial date will be decided.
Last week, Kohberger’s defense questioned the veracity of DNA investigators said linked him to the four murders and was allegedly found on a knife sheath at the crime site. Attorneys for the defense asked the prosecution for more details regarding the DNA.
Prosecutors claimed in court records submitted in June that a DNA sample obtained from Kohberger after his arrest was a close match to the DNA on the sheath.
Kohberger’s counsel claimed in court documents filed earlier this month that he is innocent and was out driving by himself when the murders occurred. In June, the prosecution declared that they would seek the death penalty for him if he were found guilty of the murders.